Proof of Vaccination Mandate
By order of the Provincial Health Officer (PHO), proof of vaccination is required in B.C. to access designated indoor public settings, including some programs and facilities at community and recreation centres.
According to the PHO, proof of vaccination is required for the following activities and facilities at Britannia:
- Indoor ticketed sporting events with more than 50 people
- Spectators at indoor youth sporting events with more than 50 people
- The use of fitness Centres (for people 12 years or older)
- Indoor adult group and team sports for people 22 years old or older
- Indoor gatherings of people 22 yrs+ for exercise, fitness or dance programs
- Indoor organized group recreational classes and activities with more than 50 people like pottery, art and choir
- Indoor organized events with 50 or more people.
- For example: wedding and funeral receptions, organized parties, conferences, trade fairs and workshops
Proof of vaccination is NOT required for the following facilities and activities:
- Children under 12 years of age do not need to provide proof of vaccination for any facilities or programs.
- Swimming pools and rinks when not used for adult sport.
- Public skates are not considered an event or “adult sport”.
- Adult Stick & Puck is exempt as it is not considered “adult sport”.
- Indoor youth recreational sports for youth 21 years old or younger.
- Showers, washrooms, water fountains, warming/cooling centres, and food security programs are all essential services and exempt.
- Indoor organized group recreational classes and activities like pottery, art and choir if less that 50 people.
- Parents/Guardians who are accompanying their children accessing Youth and Children activities, programs and services will not be required to show Proof of Vaccination and Government Photo ID. Parents are exempt when participating in Parent and Tot programs.
- Before and after school programs for K to 12 students.
- Student events and activities in K to 12 public and independent schools.
- Indoor organized events with less than 50 people, except adult sports.
- Outside events.
- Immunization clinics.
- Proof of vaccination is not required to vote in-person in the September 20 federal election or at advance polling places.
For the full list of indoor public settings covered by the PHO and exemptions, click here.
From September 13 – October 23, people will need proof of vaccination showing at least one dose to enter designated indoor areas. By October 24, 2021 you'll need to have been fully vaccinated with two doses for at least seven days. Adults 19 years of age and older must also show a piece of government issued photo ID (ex. driver’s license, BC services card, passport) to confirm your identity. Youth aged 12-18 do not need to show ID. To give everyone time to get their BC Vaccine Card, up to and including September 26, people can show other forms of proof of vaccination (click here for examples).
If you are enrolled in an in-person program at Britannia that is covered by the PHO, we will start checking proof of vaccination and photo ID on the first day of class to ensure that participants have at least one dose. If you have only received one dose at the time of your first class, you must get your second dose by October 17 so that by October 24 you can produce your updated vaccine card. Patrons without valid proof of vaccination can receive a full refund before the first class or a prorated refund thereafter and will not be able to participate until they are able to provide documentation. Partial refunds can be issued for most programs if you only miss a couple classes before you’re able to get your proof of vaccination.
To get your BC Vaccine Card you'll need to register for Health Gateway, the platform B.C. residents can use to access their health records online. Once you're logged in to the gateway, you can find your COVID-19 immunization records and save a digital copy of your card to your phone or tablet, or print a paper copy and keep it with you. If you do not have access to a computer or smartphone, order a copy over the phone by calling 1-833-838-2323. Have your BC Vaccine Card ready when dropping into the Fitness Centre or for your in-person fitness, sport, or dance program.
To get your vaccine card, you’ll need your Personal Health Number, date of birth, and the date you got your first or second dose.