Beyond the Blue Box: Recycling at Britannia
Every third Saturday of the month, Britannia Centre sponsors a plastics recycling depot located in the back parking lot at Britannia, where recyclers can dispose of the plastic items the City of Vancouver can’t take. Pacific Mobile Depots (PMD), based in Victoria, collects plastics and other materials, then sells them to small BC factories to repurpose: http://pmdrecycling.com
For a small price, you can get rid of plastic bags in your cupboards, broken plastic toys in the basement, and a host of other items such as styrofoam, foil-lined materials, and metal objects. So bring your plastics/metals/solid foam, and they will get a new purpose in life. What’s not to like? Proceeds go to PMD and Britannia Centre.
What Do We Recycle and at What Cost?
* Hard & Soft Plastics and Styrofoam - (bags, bubble wrap, children’s toys, plastics wrappings and packaging, etc.) foil-lined bags, tetra paks, gable-top cartons (eg. milk and juice cartons), plant pots and Styrofoam.
By volume: Regular garbage bag $3.50 Large garbage bag $7.00
* Electronic Waste
- Servers and laptops – Free
- Wires & Cables – Free (Excluding coaxial cables $1/lb)
-Other electronics/small appliances $2.50 small/ $5 large
* Bike tires/tubes - $0.75/tube, $10 bagged (36”x48”)
* Infant/ Child Car Seats
- $12 – you dismantle it (fabric, metal, foam, plastic separated), or $20 – we dismantle it for you!
* Free – Lightbulbs & batteries of all sizes
For a more detailed and comprehensive list,
please visit the website at:
For more information on recycle depot or to volunteer:
604-718-5800 (press 1)
Final Recycle Depot for 2018 - Sat Dec 15
2019 RECYCLE DEPOT
9am - Noon
Jan 19, Feb 16, Mar 16, Apr 20, May 18, Jun 15,
Jul 20, Aug 17, Sep 14, Oct 19, Nov 16, Dec 21