Britannia Events Calendar
You can view our programs on the Vancouver Recreation site.
Current Facility Schedule
Oct 17 - Pool, Rink & Fitness Centre Facility Schedules
Free Special Preview Performance of Nagamo (Sings), music intima
Free Special Preview Performance of Nagamo (Sings)
May 26, 2022 | 3:15pm
Canucks Family Education Centre (CFEC)
musica intima will be joined in Vancouver by composer/curator of Cree descent, Andrew Balfour. Balfour writes: “Nagamo (Sings) reimagines history and the concept of nation to nation respect and musical dialogue between the nations of the so-called New World and Old World. During the beginning of the 17th century, several Chiefs and esteemed Indigenous leaders journeyed to Europe in the hope of forging alliances. In many cases, they were treated as respected ambassadors. Nagamo explores the fantastical idea of what might have happened if the sharing of music, and the respect of culture had contrived, and how a different history might have played out.”
The performance will also feature the unique musical perspective of Balfour’s translations of these motets into First Nations languages. Compositions by Balfour himself explores universal ideas of governance, diplomacy, and culture, as well as the challenges Indigenous peoples face today.
*New commissioned work by visual artist Sonny Assu’s (Li?wilda?x?w of the Kwakwaka’wakw Nations) will be exhibited alongside the live performance on May 27, 2022 at 7:30pm at St. James' Anglican Church.
Read more about the live show here.
- Jun 4, 2023 6:00 pm - Jun 4, 2023 9:00 pmLocation: 55+ CentreEveryone is welcome to attend our movie series Sunday evenings in the 55+ Centre.
- Jun 11, 2023 6:00 pm - Jun 11, 2023 9:00 pmLocation: 55+ CentreEveryone is welcome to attend our movie series Sunday evenings in the 55+ Centre.
- Jun 16, 2023 7:00 pm - Jun 16, 2023 10:00 pmLocation: Gym D
- Jun 17, 2023 9:00 am - Jun 17, 2023 12:00 pmLocation: Northwest corner of Parking Lot
- Jun 17, 2023 1:00 pm - Jun 17, 2023 8:00 pmLocation: Gym D
- Jun 18, 2023 1:00 pm - Jun 18, 2023 5:00 pmLocation: Gym D