Britannia Events Calendar
Britannia Library Monthly Events: August
Britannia Teen Centre: Summer
Note: Annual Pool Maintenance Closure - Sept 1-28
Sufi Whirling Workshop
ENTRANCE FEE, By donation, $5-$30
LIMITED CAPACITY - TO PRE-REGISTER, go here:
Presented by Caravan World Rhythms in collaboration with Britannia Centre.
For anyone wishing to learn or develop the Basics of Sufi Whirling, the powerful Moving Meditation technique of Rumi and the Sufi Whirling Dervishes. No experience necessary.
The workshop will begin with a short informal talk and Q&A to learn about the history and background of Sufi Whirling. This will be followed by breathing, centring, and turning meditation, leading into a powerful group whirling experience.
Bring your intention, and 3 different pairs of socks or whirling shoes (will be available for purchase 30 minutes before the workshop begins), comfortable clothes for movement, and a yoga mat, blanket or sheepskin for earth grounding.
Raqib Brian Burke has 28 years of study and experience under the Mevlevi Sheikhs Reshad Field, Suleyman Dede and Jelaluddin Loras, and Rifa'i Sheikh Sherif Baba Catalkaya. He performed in the first ever Sema Ceremony by North American dervishes in Konya, Turkey, at the tomb of Mevlana Celaluddin Rumi founder of whirling and has since performed in Canada and the United States at numerous spiritual gatherings, weddings, memorial services, arts festivals and music events.
Please arrive 15 minutes before start of workshop to register and settle in. Whirling Shoes will be available for Sale.
- Aug 1, 2018 6:30 pm - Aug 1, 2018 8:30 pmLocation: Britannia Art GalleryAugust Exhibition runs Aug 1-31
"Naturally Around Us" by Alternative Creations Studio
- Aug 3, 2018 8:00 pm - Aug 3, 2018 10:00 pmLocation: Britannia Pool
- Aug 9, 2018 4:00 am - Aug 9, 2018 10:30 amLocation: Site wide
- Aug 10, 2018 5:00 pm - Aug 10, 2018 8:00 pmLocation: Grandview Park
- Aug 12, 2018 12:00 pm - Aug 12, 2018 5:00 pmLocation: Napier Greenway
- Aug 17, 2018 5:00 pm - Aug 17, 2018 8:00 pmLocation: Grandview Park