Britannia Events Calendar
Britannia Library Monthly Events: May
Britannia Teen Centre: May
Sufi Whirling Workshop
ENTRANCE FEE, By donation, $5-$30
LIMITED CAPACITY - TO PRE-REGISTER, go here:
Presented by Caravan World Rhythms in collaboration with Britannia Centre.
For anyone wishing to learn or develop the Basics of Sufi Whirling, the powerful Moving Meditation technique of Rumi and the Sufi Whirling Dervishes. No experience necessary.
The workshop will begin with a short informal talk and Q&A to learn about the history and background of Sufi Whirling. This will be followed by breathing, centring, and turning meditation, leading into a powerful group whirling experience.
Bring your intention, and 3 different pairs of socks or whirling shoes (will be available for purchase 30 minutes before the workshop begins), comfortable clothes for movement, and a yoga mat, blanket or sheepskin for earth grounding.
Raqib Brian Burke has 28 years of study and experience under the Mevlevi Sheikhs Reshad Field, Suleyman Dede and Jelaluddin Loras, and Rifa'i Sheikh Sherif Baba Catalkaya. He performed in the first ever Sema Ceremony by North American dervishes in Konya, Turkey, at the tomb of Mevlana Celaluddin Rumi founder of whirling and has since performed in Canada and the United States at numerous spiritual gatherings, weddings, memorial services, arts festivals and music events.
Please arrive 15 minutes before start of workshop to register and settle in. Whirling Shoes will be available for Sale.
- May 2, 2018 6:30 pm - May 2, 2018 8:30 pmLocation: Britannia Art GalleryMay Exhibition runs May 2-Jun 1
Nets, Nettles, Linen and Leather: Exploring cultural connections in the Land & Sea Project
Mediums: nettle fibre, linen fibre, fish leather.
Artists: Rebecca Graham, Sharon Kallis, Tracy Williams and Community members.
- May 4, 2018 8:00 pm - May 4, 2018 10:00 pmLocation: Britannia Pool
- May 12, 2018 12:00 pm - May 12, 2018 5:00 pmLocation: Britannia Site & Napier GreenwayBritannia Community Centre is pleased to host the Annual Stone Soup Festival, a celebration of food, art, environment and community, including a food market, local artists, community groups, and workshops, live music, children’s activities, free soup and more!
- May 13, 2018 11:00 am - May 13, 2018 9:00 pmLocation: Britannia Secondary School - Gym A/B
- May 16, 2018 7:00 pm - Feb 21, 2018Location: Britannia Art GalleryArtist talk with EartHand Gleaners'
Learn more about the EartHand Gleaners' Land and Sea Project: themes emerging from Weaving Conversation Circles.
May Exhibition runs May 2-Jun 1
- May 18, 2018 3:00 pm - May 18, 2018 6:00 pmLocation: Rink Mezzanine