Britannia Events Calendar
Britannia Library Monthly Events: September
Britannia Teen Centre: September
Note: Annual Pool Maintenance Closure - Sept 1-28
Sufi Whirling Workshop - FULL
This class is now FULL, but there is still room in the Mar 2 workshop.
Britannia Canucks Family Education Centre (CFEC) located at
ENTRANCE FEE, By donation, $5-$30
LIMITED CAPACITY - TO PRE-REGISTER, go here:
Presented by Caravan World Rhythms in collaboration with Britannia Centre.
For anyone wishing to learn or develop the Basics of Sufi Whirling, the powerful Moving Meditation technique of Rumi and the Sufi Whirling Dervishes. No experience necessary.
The workshop will begin with a short informal talk and Q&A to learn about the history and background of Sufi Whirling. This will be followed by breathing, centring, and turning meditation, leading into a powerful group whirling experience.
Bring your intention, and 3 different pairs of socks or whirling shoes (will be available for purchase 30 minutes before the workshop begins), comfortable clothes for movement, and a yoga mat, blanket or sheepskin for earth grounding.
Raqib Brian Burke has 28 years of study and experience under the Mevlevi Sheikhs Reshad Field, Suleyman Dede and Jelaluddin Loras, and Rifa'i Sheikh Sherif Baba Catalkaya. He performed in the first ever Sema Ceremony by North American dervishes in Konya, Turkey, at the tomb of Mevlana Celaluddin Rumi founder of whirling and has since performed in Canada and the United States at numerous spiritual gatherings, weddings, memorial services, arts festivals and music events.
Please arrive 15 minutes before start of workshop to register and settle in. Whirling Shoes will be available for Sale.
Next workshop: March 2, 2014, 2:00-5:00 pm, CFEC
- Sep 2, 2018 12:00 pm - Sep 2, 2018 5:00 pmLocation: Napier Greenway
- Sep 2, 2018 12:00 pm - Sep 2, 2018 5:00 pmLocation: Gym D & BreezewayEnjoy a taste of Latin America in East Van!
- Sep 5, 2018 6:30 pm - Sep 5, 2018 8:30 pmLocation: Britannia Art GalleryAugust Exhibition runs Sep 5-28
"Everyday Something Falls" by Kelly Haydon
"The Port and Beyond" by Judith Fairwood
- Sep 9, 2018 6:00 pm - Sep 9, 2018 9:00 pmLocation: 55+ CentreThe Britannia Great Movies Series happens every Sunday evening from 6-9pm in the 55+ Centre. All our welcome to come and enjoy a movie and free popcorn!
- Sep 12, 2018 7:00 pm - Sep 12, 2018Location: Britannia Art GalleryArtist talk with Kelly Haydon
September Exhibition runs Sep 5-28
- Sep 13, 2018 6:00 pm - Sep 13, 2018 8:00 pmLocation: šx?q?el?w?n ct Carving Centre