Britannia Events Calendar
Britannia Library Monthly Events: May
Britannia Teen Centre: May
The EAST FEAST is a micro-funding event that supports local artists who live or work in the neighbourhoods of Grandview-Woodland & Strathcona through a community meal that raises funds through ticket sales to the event which in turn directly funds an artist or artist group. This FEAST is grassroots micro-funding at its best, relying on community engagement to be successful. We are looking to support and stimulate experimental, creative, and critical projects that would benefit the FEAST community.
Community members will be invited to participate by attending a meal in support of local artists. The inaugural FEAST is scheduled once a year in June and will have an “afternoon tea” theme. Those who attend will enjoy food specifically created and prepared for the event by a local chef/caterer, entertainment, and the opportunity to meet and listen to three artists who will each make a 5-7 minute presentation during the event. At the end of the FEAST meal the attendees will vote on which artist they would like to see funded. The chosen artist will receive a grant from the funds raised by the event ticket sales of up to $1000. This event is organized by Arts & Culture Committee - for more information visit the East Feast blog!
The 2012 shortlisted artists are: Jason Neve, Disposable Landscapes; Elizabeth Joe, Youth Art Project: Learning through Art and Literature; and Aja Rose Bond/Gabriel Saloman, Strathcona Art Gallery (STAG.)
Musicans performing at this year's FEAST are: Emily Postl & Wynston Minkler, Clara Rose Chisholm and Yoro Noukoussi.
- May 2, 2018 6:30 pm - May 2, 2018 8:30 pmLocation: Britannia Art GalleryMay Exhibition runs May 2-Jun 1
Nets, Nettles, Linen and Leather: Exploring cultural connections in the Land & Sea Project
Mediums: nettle fibre, linen fibre, fish leather.
Artists: Rebecca Graham, Sharon Kallis, Tracy Williams and Community members.
- May 4, 2018 8:00 pm - May 4, 2018 10:00 pmLocation: Britannia Pool
- May 12, 2018 12:00 pm - May 12, 2018 5:00 pmLocation: Britannia Site & Napier GreenwayBritannia Community Centre is pleased to host the Annual Stone Soup Festival, a celebration of food, art, environment and community, including a food market, local artists, community groups, and workshops, live music, children’s activities, free soup and more!
- May 13, 2018 11:00 am - May 13, 2018 9:00 pmLocation: Britannia Secondary School - Gym A/B
- May 16, 2018 7:00 pm - Feb 21, 2018Location: Britannia Art GalleryArtist talk with EartHand Gleaners'
Learn more about the EartHand Gleaners' Land and Sea Project: themes emerging from Weaving Conversation Circles.
May Exhibition runs May 2-Jun 1
- May 18, 2018 3:00 pm - May 18, 2018 6:00 pmLocation: Rink Mezzanine